Page Wrapper
Search: Keyword:

  Mission Statement  

Vision Statement

The Wetumpka Elementary School will strive to become a learning community, committed to excellence, where all individuals continually grow to their best potential and help others to do the same.

 

Mission Statement

The faculty and staff of the Wetumpka Elementary School will prepare students to become responsible and productive citizens in today's ever-changing society. It is our obligation as a faculty to help the students accomplish this through providing a variety of educational experiences in a safe and positive environment. We seek to provide a challenging and flexible curriculum to meet the needs of each student.

 

Wetumpka Elementary School Beliefs 

Everyone will be treated as an individual.

Everyone is valued.

Everyone will respect themselves and others.

Everyone will be challenged.

Everyone has the right to learn.

An environment conducive to learning will be provided for all.

  About The School  

Wetumpka Elementary School History

Wetumpka Elementary School
Wetumpka Elementary School

Wetumpka is situated in a growing rural area approximately 15 miles north of Montgomery. The Wetumpka Elementary School is a public school serving 950 students in grades K-4.  It houses 48 homeroom classes, which include 10 kindergartens,  11 first grades, 10 second grades, 9 third grades, and 7 fourth grade classes.  The school has a professional staff of  65 certified teachers, 3 administrators, and 14 paraprofessionals.

Little knowledge exists concerning public or private schools in Wetumpka until after the days of Reconstruction. Through the tireless efforts of Mr. Morris Hohenberg, Wetumpka was able to secure the Fifth District Agricultural School in 1897, a public school that had the first elementary grades in Wetumpka.  In 1929, Hohenberg Memorial became the first elementary school in Wetumpka with a teaching principal.  In the late 1960s, the school's name was changed to the Wetumpka Primary School.  In 1974, the school was moved to its present site and its name became the Wetumpka Elementary School.  Since that time it has had a mixture of grade levels.  As recently as 1991, the school was composed of two campuses, Campus I:  K-3 and Campus II: 4-6, with a professional staff of 100.  In 1992, the 4th-6th-grade campus became a separate school with a new name and its own administration.  With the addition of Redland Elementary School and consolidation of Wetumpka Intermediate and Wetumpka Junior High, Wetumpka Elementary School now consists of grades K-4. 

During the past ten years, much has been done to improve the quality of education for students at Wetumpka Elementary.  In 1999, 22 additional classrooms were built, along with a new administrative office and a new counselor's office.  A gymnasium was built for physical education activities in the early 1990s, and new playground equipment was purchased and installed by the PTO in 1999. In 2009, a student activities center was added to the campus.

Wetumpka Elementary School continues to grow and update their facilities each year.